Feb 29, 2012

Time Tracking Solutions: Toggl

Had a look at a few time tracking solutions. It's easy to loose the overview of how much time you spent on a project if you work on a lot of different projects at the same time. So, I did search for a good solution that fits me. The few requirements I had where as follows:
  • very easy to use (else I won't use it for long)
  • cloud/server based (as I want to use/access the same data on all devices I use)
  • multi-platform (I use Windows, Android and Linux daily. WP7 would be a nice bonus)
  • decent overview of time spent on projects (graphical analysis of some sort)
  • free (for personal use. As I only use it privately. Very cheap would be acceptable but I rather go for free in this case)
My choice fall onto Toggl. Mostly they do everything over a website. Their platform apps (Win, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS) are basically a container displaying the website. As the website is very well done this does work well as long as you have internet access. I'm not sure how far they use HTML5 to make it possible to use it while not having access to the internet. As having internet is usually not a problem for me I don't care too much about that.

I think Toggl is a really neat time tracking solution for projects. It's very simple and has a nice structure. Tagging tasks is a neat bonus I don't really use but still nice to have just in case. I'm curious how long I'll keep using this ...

4 comments:

  1. I have used toggl, harvest and talygen on free trial version. All three have great time tracking features but talygen have new upgraded modules which i couldn't find in toggl and harvest. So, my choice fall onto talygen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a first look Talygens seems too overwhelming for my taste. I like it simple. But it does offer additional features Toggl doesn't provide. Also I find the pricing to be rather expensive. Too expensive for private use that doesn't really generate any revenue like in my case.

    btw. I'm still using Toggl and I'm very happy with it. Just does everything I need it to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your points. I have used Toggl six months back, it is really easy to use and it has multi-platform functionalities too. However, when I tried Replicon's time recording software, I didn’t want to switch over to any other software because it has made my work easy and also helps to complete my tasks quickly.

    ReplyDelete