May 8, 2011

Why The New Guy Can’t Code

Why The New Guy Can’t Code

Great, almost exactly what I think and what my experience tells me.

The fundamental problem is that the skills required to pass today’s industry-standard software interview are not the skills required to be a good software developer.

and a very good advice that is completely true:
don’t interview anyone who hasn’t accomplished anything. Ever.

For a coder that is the most important thing. I had completed dozens of private code projects as I graduated. And I still consider this very important on any other coder. If you don't write at least some code in your spare time you just never gonna be a good coder. Experience for a coder is the most important thing. People which just graduated and never wrote more than a few small sample applications are worthless need a lot of additional mentoring. And a lot of those inexperienced never really get to a point where you can call them good coders.

The startups I've worked with so far did a fairly good job there. I did apply to a bigger company once and got a email back with something in the direction of 30 questions. That was awful and had a lot of stupid useless stuff in it. I did fill it out and send it back, but my view of the company was way down from before. My motivation to work there was limited after that ..

No comments:

Post a Comment